I wrote up this list of things that Christian missionaries do as a part of our missions learning for boys in Royal Ambassadors (RAs) at church. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but I wanted to give the boys some ideas of the types of things missionaries do. It is easy for them to think that all missionaries do is teach and preach the Bible, but that is usually only a small part of a missionary’s work. I provided the boys with this list of ideas to help them write comic strips about missionaries’ work.
20 THINGS CHRISTIAN MISSIONARIES DO
- Start new churches in other countries.
- Start new churches in parts of America that do not have very many Christians.
- Serve as doctors, nurses or dentists.
- Serve as teachers.
- Serve as pilots.
- Build schools and houses.
- Build wells for drinking water.
- Build orphanages and work at orphanages.
- Bring food and water to people after hurricanes, earthquakes or tsunamis.
- Clean up trash and debris after hurricanes, earthquakes or tsunamis.
- Rescue people using boats and helicopters after hurricanes, earthquakes or tsunamis.
- Help rebuild all the buildings that were destroyed after hurricanes, earthquakes or tsunamis.
- Go to the Olympics or World Cup and hand out Bibles, Christian pamphlets, or Christian jewelry.
- Translate the Bible into other languages that do not have the Bible yet.
- Train church leaders in other countries, teaching them how to teach, preach and share the Gospel.
- Teach job skills to women in other countries. (Sewing clothes, making jewelry, making purses.)
- Teach people how to run a business in other countries so they can earn money and improve their lives.
- Provide help and counseling to single mothers and victims of abuse.
- Many missionaries sell everything they own and live on very little money in foreign countries.
- Fulfill the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20 ):
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
I also created these 3 comic strip templates with slight variations in style that the boys could choose from when they drew their comic strips for this RAs project. Here are the 3 templates which you can download and use for your own comic strips.
Click the following link to download these 3 comic strip templates in 1 printable PDF file: Comic Strip Template